Thursday 3 September 2015

{A blanket of puff shells}

After finally finishing a blanket for my son, I figured I should do one for my daughter as well. Lucky for me, a local small yarn shop was having a sale! There, I picked up 30 balls of lemony Rowan "Cotton Rope" yarn (that's right, 30 balls! and it cost the total of only $30). This particular pattern - 3D, or puff shells - is not complicated at all; what takes time is the sheer size that I decided to attempt. The result looks beautiful, and what's more important, my daughter just loves it!



Yarn:
Rowan Cotton Rope
Colour #060 Lemonade (discontinued)
55% cotton, 45% acrylic

Hook: 6.0 mm

Size of the finished blanket: 100 cm x 75 cm

Here's the video from Maggie's Crochet I watched to understand the pattern: Crochet Stitch Puff Shell (there are lots of other free crochet patterns on her Youtube channel). Chain as much as you need following the direction in the video and crochet away.

This pattern produces a clean edge that I felt didn't need a border all around. Instead, I decided to go for fringe. I measured out strings longer that what I hoped the finished fringe would be to be able to trim it evenly at the end; I bundled them by threes like in the photo.

At first, I was just going to add fringe at the top/bottom of each shell; however, I tried a few in between as well, and it looked fuller and more completed, so I doubled up on fringe.



This pattern comes out even, beautiful, just a sea of shells!

I really enjoyed making this for my daughter, but I will be crocheting something much smaller and less time-consuming next!

Cheers,
Nadia



No comments:

Post a Comment