Friday 6 November 2015

{Double Fan Scarf - free pattern}

I've been wanting to use this yarn for a while now, I wanted to see how the colours change in it. I've been looking for a perfect scarf pattern, which I found (well, almost) in a book borrowed from my local library.

I say almost because I've modified it a bit: the yarn that I used in a bit thinner than the one used by the original pattern; in addition, I wanted a bulkier, wider scarf. So I doubled up on the fan column (and made a few small modifications as well).




Yarn used: Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable in colour Tidal

Hook used: 5.0 mm

Final dimensions: 23 cm x 160 cm (9" x 63")

PATTERN:

Chain 45.

Foundation row: dc in 4th ch from hook, ch 2, skip 2 ch, * dc in next 3 ch, ch 2, dc in next 3 ch, ch 4, skip 4 ch, (dc+ch3+dc) in next ch, ch 4, skip 4 ch, repeat *, dc in next 3 ch, ch 2, dc in next 3 ch, ch 2, skip 2 ch, dc in last ch, turn.

Row 1: ch 3, dc in first dc, ch 2, skip next ch-2 space, *(3dc+2ch+3dc) in ch-2 space, ch 3, skip next ch-4 space, 7 dc in ch-3 space (foundation of the fan), ch 3, skip next ch-4 space, repeat *, (3dc+2ch+3dc) in ch-2 space, ch 2, skip next (ch-2 space + dc), dc in top of turning ch, turn.

Row 2: ch 3, dc in first dc, ch 2, skip next ch-2 space, *(3dc+2ch+3dc) in ch-2 space, skip next ch-3 space, (dtr between 2 dc, ch 2) five times, dtr between last 2 dc, skip next 3-ch space, repeat *, (3dc+2ch+3dc) in ch-2 space, ch 2, skip next (ch-2 space + dc), dc in top of turning ch, turn.

Row 3: ch 3, dc in first dc, ch 2, skip next ch-2 space, *(3dc+2ch+3dc) in ch-2 space, (slip st, ch 2, slip st) five times, repeat *, (3dc+2ch+3dc) in ch-2 space, ch 2, skip next (ch-2 space+dc), dc in top of turning ch, turn.

Row 4: ch 3, dc in first dc, ch 2, skip next ch-2 space, *(3dc+2ch+3dc) in ch-2 space, ch 4, skip next 2 ch-2 spaces, (dc+ch 3+dc) in centre ch-2 space, ch 4, skip next 2 ch-2 spaces, repeat *, (3dc+2ch+3dc) in ch-2 space, ch 2, skip next (ch-2 space+dc), dc in top of turning ch, turn.

Repeat Rows 1-4 until desired length is achieved, ending your work with Row 3.
Fasten off. Weave the ends.

Here's the modified diagram for this scarf. NOTE: instead of ch-3 space, I made ch-2 space between the cluster of 3 dc.



To ensure the finished scarf looks nice, I wet it and gently squeezed the water out. Then using lots and lots of pins, I stretched it out on the ironing board and let it dried (because the scarf is much longer than my ironing board, I had to do it in to parts):


Here it is all finished up:

Cheers,
Nadia.

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I have had 3 skeins of Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable in the "Dragonfly" colorway for about 3 years just waiting for the right pattern to come along. This is by far the best pattern I have found so I'm printing it off and getting it in line to start right after Thanksgiving, thanks for sharing your talent and this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long did this take to make? It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda, a few days maybe? On and off though :)

      Delete
  3. How many skeins did you use? Your scarf is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete