Wednesday 8 July 2015

{Fluffy Pancakes}

My mom and grandma make the best fluffy pancakes hands down! Living in Canada, I haven't been able to replicate it as their recipe calls for use of kefir, a type of fermented milk product (they do sell it in stores here; although close, it's not quite the same in my opinion).

Finally, about 6 months ago I came across this recipe that yields awesome fluffy pancakes that everyone in my family can't get enough of! Try it, and I'm sure it will become your new Sunday favourite.



INGREDIENTS:

* 1 cup milk (I use 2%)
* 1 tbsp white vinegar (5% acidity)
* 1.5 cups all-purpose flour (I imagine you can go ahead and use any flour)
* 2 tbsp sugar
* 1 egg
* 3/4 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 2 tbsp butter, melted
* 1 tsp vanilla extract (original recipe doesn't call for it, but I like it)
* butter/oil for cooking

DIRECTIONS:

1. Add vinegar to milk and let it sit for about 15 minutes (the milk will "sour").

* preheat skillet on low, add a bit of butter or oil (I prefer oil as it has higher smoke point)

2. Mix dry ingredients together (flour, soda, salt and sugar).

3. Beat the egg; melt butter.

4. Add egg and butter to milk and mix together.

5. Add liquid mixture to dry, mix together well.

6. Increase the heat setting to medium-low or medium (max); pour out the pancake mix as big or small as you'd like your pancakes to be. Flip onto the other side once you start seeing little "bubble holes"; fry for another 1-2 minutes.

7. Enjoy with maple syrup, fresh berries, yogurt or whatever else your favourite topping is!

Bon appétit!
Nadia

(This recipe is available in Russian here: Пышные оладьи на молоке)

No comments:

Post a Comment